The aim of the Women in IT (WinIT) project is to increase the attractiveness of the higher education in ICT from a women's perspective. Within the EU women account for only 15% of ICT jobs. A greater participation of women in technology and their empowerment in the digital economy would contribute to economic growth and wider social development. Digitalisation is increasingly driving society, so it is important that different genders work together to develop and benefit from it. The measures of the project will be piloted in the higher education program of information technology in the Kokkola University Centrum Chydenius. In many respects, however, the operating models and solutions developed in the project can be generalized.
- To find out why women are applying for ICT field. This identifies the attractiveness of the ICT sector from a women's perspective and, on the other hand, seeks to understand why the sector is not chosen.
- To make the researched ICT education program more attractive from the perspective of female students and get more potential students to the field. In this context, the aim is to increase the attractiveness of the ICT sector more generally.
- To obtain information and development ideas on the gender neutrality of the ICT education being piloted. The aim is to improve the conditions for female students to progress in their studies and graduate with good grades in the target schedule. The information obtained is also generalized.
- To establish structures and practices for continuous assessment of the gender suitability of the education program.
- The marketing and image of the higher education in ICT will change to be more interesting from the perspective of women. Awareness of women's opportunities in the ICT market is growing. The project will make it easier for potential female students to identify the various applications in the ICT sector and the suitability of the sector for female employees as well. As a concrete result of the project, information and marketing material will be created to attract women to the field of technology.
- Information of the suitability of the higher education in ICT for different genders is gained. The results guide the consideration of the needs of different genders in the development of education. In this way, women will have better opportunities to progress in their studies and achieve good learning outcomes.
- As an indirect result of the project, ICT companies will have a more skilled workforce when a larger share of the workforce potential is available.
Tel. +358 40 7518 089
Tel. +358 40 6700 078